History of the CSSBI Charity

Much of the history of the CSSBI has been gleaned from the original minute books and annual reports. A small group of six teachers recognised that nothing was done for teachers who fell on hard times and they approached the Rev. J. G. Lonsdale, Secretary of the National Society ,to help them establish a benevolent fund. A large gathering of teachers met at St. Martin’s School, Charing Cross on the 2nd January 1857 and the benevolent institution was formed. Branches were established in many parts of the country including Northampton, Devon and Exeter, Liverpool, Bristol and in the Vale of Aylesbury. By 1920 there were 142 local branches.

 

Royal Patronage throughout our history

Several of Queen Victoria’s children supported the CSSBI, including the Prince of Wales who became Patron of the West Norfolk Branch on 15th April 1878. When he succeeded to the throne in 1901 he became a Patron of the National Council of the CSSBI. We have enjoyed Royal Patronage since then and are grateful for the interest H.M. Queen Elizabeth II takes in the Institution. With the Education Acts of 1870, 1902 and 1944 and the establishment of a Teachers Pension Scheme the needs of teachers changed, and the number of the local boards dwindled.

 

The opening of Glen Arun

It was decided to purchase a house in Sussex, namely Glen Arun, 142 Brighton Road, Horsham. With the rising costs of an office in London the council decided, in 1951, to transfer the registered office to Glen Arun. The retired teachers who took up residence at Glen Arun each had a room for their own use; in addition there was a common room and kitchen. Residents paid for lunches, laundry and cleaning of their rooms, if they chose to use these facilities. In 1963 the Council felt that a purpose built retirement home was needed. Land was sold and the original Glen Arun was replaced by a new building.

One room in Glen Arun was dedicated to Whitelands College, a training college for female teachers. In 1917 the CSSBI took over the responsibility for the administration of the Hebblethwaite Memorial Fund on behalf of Whitelands College.

In 2008 the CSSBI Council realised that the running of a care home by a volunteer committee in the current economic climate was no longer viable. They came to the decision to sell Glen Arun as a going concern.

 

An end of an era at Glen Arun

In November 2008 the sale of the home to Lifestyle Care (UK) Ltd was agreed. The proceeds of this sale provided much needed funds for the CSSBI to invest and use on its core purpose of being a benevolent institution, with sufficient funds to make charitable donations that meet the requirements of the Articles and Memorandum of Association.

 

CSSBI in the 21st Century

In February 2009, the CSSBI opened its new registered office at 3 Kings Court, Horsham, West Sussex.