The CSSBI Timeline

1857 Meeting of teachers at St. Martin’s School, Charing Cross -President Rev, J. G. Lonsdale established a Benevolent Fund.
J. .Studdle, Hon. Sec. prepared proposed rules and distributed them to teachers in London and the Provinces.

 

1858 Grand Choral Festival held in Crystal Palace. 3,500 London school children sang. £1000 raised for the Benevolent Fund. Continued as an annual event until 1872.

 

1860 First Investments made.

 

1865-1895 Six bazaars organised each raising £1000

 

1874 Appointment of Mr G.W.Perry as permanent Secretary “at a sufficient salary.”

 

1878 The Prince of Wales became Patron of the West Norfolk Branch.

 

1880 Home of Rest and Convalescent Home opened in Worthing, Sussex.

 

1881 Home moved to Findon

 

1887 Home moved back to Worthing

 

1889 Home of Rest closed

 

1893 Memorandum and Articles of Association approved.

 

1894 Incorporation completed.

 

1899 Mr West became Secretary and Mr Rawson Assistant Secretary from 1897, having previously been a clerk for the Institution

 

1901 King Edward VII became Patron of National Council of CSSBI on his accession to the throne.

 

1902 - 32 Annual Fund Raising Concert held at the Queen’s Hall. (Except war years 1914-18).

 

1906 CSSBI office established in National Society’s House, Great Peter Street, Westminster.

 

1907 Jubilee Celebrated and Jubilee Fund inaugurated.

 

1917 The CSSBI took over the responsibility for the administration of the Hebblethwaite Memorial Fund on behalf of Whitelands College.

 

1944 CSSBI Office moved to Parliament Mansions, Abbey Orchard Street, SW1. This proved to be expensive.

 

1946 Purchase of the original “Glen Arun”, 114 Brighton Road, Horsham, with pleasant rooms and 7 acres of land as a home for retired Church of England Teachers. Rooms rented out at 15/- per week plus 4/- for light, heat and cleaning. Lunches could be purchased for a moderate cost. King George V1 expressed interest in the scheme and made a generous contribution to the project.

 

1951 Registered Office moved to Glen Arun, 114 Brighton Road, Horsham.

 

1957 One hundred years of Benevolent work was celebrated by the publication of a pamphlet.

 

1963 Part of the estate was sold to raise funds . This facilitated the development of the land to include a new building for Glen Arun and the new roads and housing of Athelstan Way and Weald and Paget Close.The new address for Glen Arun: 9 Athelstan Way, Horsham.

 

1988 Further modernisation of Glen Arun as a Care and Nursing Home meant the addition of a nursing wing opened by the Lord Bishop of London.
All residents were now provided with meals from a central kitchen, prepared by a Chef and his team of staff.
Glen Arun had a fully qualified staff of nurses and care assistants as well as domestic workers. All of them played an important part in caring for elderly and sick people.
Preference was given to retired teachers and their families but other vacancies were offered to people who need to be cared for.

 

2003 The newly built chapel sited in the conservatory extension was dedicated at an Anniversary Service commemorating 40 years of the current Glen Arun.

 

2007 The Council of the CSSBI, Staff and Residents celebrated 150 years of Benevolent Service.

 

2009 Glen Arun was sold to Lifestyle Care Ltd and continues under their auspices.

 

2010 The CSSBI relocated to their registered office to 3 Kings Court, Harwood Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH13 5UR